PR Card

PR card shows that a person has permanent resident status in Canada. If you travel outside Canada, you will need to show your PR card and your passport when you come back on a commercial vehicle, like an airplane, boat, train or bus.

Permanent resident if want to travel outside Canada and does not have a valid PR card, or does not carry it, need to apply for a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) before returning to Canada by a commercial vehicle.

A permanent resident is a person who has been given permanent resident status by IRCC but is not a Canadian citizen. Permanent residents are citizens of other countries. A person in Canada temporarily, like a student or foreign worker, is not a permanent resident. Someone who makes a refugee claim in Canada does not become a permanent resident at that time. To become one, IRB must first approve their claim. Then, they must apply for and get permanent resident status.

To be eligible for a PR card, you need to:

  • be a permanent resident, and
  • submit your application in Canada.
  • you should only apply for a PR card if:
  • you didn’t receive your PR card within 180 days of immigrating to Canada;
  • your PR card is expired or will expire in less than nine months;
  • your PR card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed; or
  • you legally changed your name and need to update your PR card.

As a permanent resident, you have the following rights:

  • get most social benefits that Canadian citizens receive, including health care coverage,
  • live, work or study anywhere in Canada,
  • apply for Canadian citizenship,
  • protection under Canadian law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Permanent residents of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document when boarding a flight to Canada, or travel to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires. If your PR card expires, it does not mean you have lost permanent resident status.

  1. Renewal of PR Card
  2. Getting a replacement for PR Card in case of loss, damage or theft
  3. Travel documents in case of urgent travel
Spire Vision Canada Immigration

Get started today by completing our Free Assessment. For immediate information, please reach out to our dedicated team by phone or email and we would be happy to assist you

How can we help you?

Contact Spire Vision Canada Immigration team for all your immigration queries.

Spire Vision Canada Immigration is always available for all your immigration needs.

Call Now Button